Job Opportunity: Head of Vineyard Services
Role: Head of Vineyard Services (full-time)
Salary: Competitive (DOE), includes access to a commercial vehicle
VineWorks is looking to recruit a full-time Head of Vineyard Services to manage our growing team of viticulturists and the delivery of our vineyard service packages.
This senior management role is based at the VineWorks head office in Plumpton Green, East Sussex and reports to the Business Director.
VineWorks is the UK's leading vineyard support company having established over 300 vineyards, planted over 4.5 million vines, installed over 1 million posts and hand-harvested thousands of tonnes of grapes since our inception in 2006.
We are cool climate specialists supporting vineyards across the UK with all their viticulture needs to ensure they produce amazing wines in a sustainable and profitable way.
We are a rapidly expanding company navigating an ever-changing landscape shaped by post-pandemic and post-Brexit challenges.
ABOUT THE JOB
The Head of Vineyard Services will be responsible for developing our vineyard services offer, managing the team, overseeing budgets and sales, and building customer relationships.
This is a senior management role driven by objectives and targets set in the company's business plan.
We are looking for candidates with outstanding knowledge of cool climate viticulture, excellent customer service skills and experience managing people and budgets.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
1.1 Manage and develop the department to achieve agreed performance targets relating to the company’s Business Plan.
1.2 Proactively seek new business through networking and client interaction.
1.3 Attend regular Senior Management Team meetings to provide detailed progress reports.
1.4 Line manage viticulturists, agreeing performance targets and monitoring progress with regular 1-2-1 meetings.
1.5 Train members of the Vineyard Services department in company standards, policies and protocol
1.6 Work with our team of viticulturists and client vineyard managers to maintain and build existing and future business, and maintain a high standard of customer service.
1.7 Liaise with the Viticulturists & Business Support Officer to ensure vineyard services team are maintaining an accurate and efficient schedule of work several weeks in advance
1.8 Oversee budget management across all strands of the department, liaising with the Business Director to monitor profitability and income generation targets.
1.9 Lead and update the vineyard consultancy packages, exploring new income generating opportunities, (e.g., new products, techniques and machinery).
1.10 Assist in the development and implementation of a marketing strategy to secure sales of all viticulture offerings.
1.11 Build environmental, sustainable and regenerative practices into the vineyard services department product offering as well as the skills/knowledge of the team.
1.12 Explore, trial and develop new techniques, as well as lead on internal/external research trials and development projects.
1.13 Identify priorities for team development to support personal as well as team objectives which relate to the implementation of the Business Plan.
1.14 Attend, with due notice, occasional out-of-hours events (e.g., evenings and weekends) as may be appropriate to the role.
1.15 Engage with industry-wide networking events / committees / development groups to build VineWorks’ reputation as an industry leader.
1.16 Undertake other duties and tasks that may reasonably be required.
- Educated to degree level
- 5 years + in cool climate viticulture
- Proven experience working in the viticulture sector at a senior management level
- Proven experience in business development and management
- Demonstrable experience managing teams and individuals
- Demonstrable experience managing budgets, especially in relation to profitability and income generation
- Demonstrable experience in managing client relationships and delivering high quality customer service
- UK drivers’ licence
- Spraying certificates and competency in tractor operations
- Strong leadership skills, especially around developing and implementing strategy.
- Strong numeracy skills, especially around setting and monitoring targets.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with an ability to work with people both within and outside the organisation.
- Excellent research skills and attention to detail.
- Proven organisational and administrative skills with an ability to prioritise, work to tight timescales and deliver work on time and within budget.
- Ability to work under pressure, independently and be self-motivated.
- Ability to work flexibly within a team and adjust to changing priorities.
- Excellent ICT skills including Microsoft Office, email, internet and databases.
- Knowledge and interest in environmentally sustainable agricultural practices
- Excellent presentation skills
Email your CV and a covering letter outlining how your skills and experience meet the criteria to our Business Director, Chris Buckley, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for applications is Monday 19 February 2024 (10am).
Interviews (in person or virtual) will take place the week commencing 26 February 2024.